Dentists are enhancing their infection control protocols to ensure their practices are as clean and germ-free as possible while they provide treatment during the coronavirus pandemic. Even so, it’s not advised to leave your house if you are at a higher risk of developing severe symptoms from COVID-19. Thankfully, you don’t have to wait until the threat of getting dangerously sick has passed to get the smile care you need. Your Rocky Hill dentist is offering dental treatment for high risk patients in the form of teledentistry. Read on to find out how remote dentistry can help you take care of your smile without jeopardizing your health.
Who’s at a Higher Risk of COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a respiratory sickness that can cause a variety of symptoms. While some people with the coronavirus exhibit no signs at all, others become so sick they need mechanical assistance to breathe. Although much is still unknown about this novel virus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that those at a higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19 include:
- People older than 65 years old.
- Those with chronic lung disease, serious heart conditions, or liver disease.
- Patients who are immunocompromised.
What is Teledentistry?
So what are you to do if you are a high-risk patient who needs urgent dental care? Instead of visiting your dentist’s office, you can contact them from the safety of your own home with teledentistry. The camera on your smartphone or computer allows you to attend a video appointment with your dentist, and the secure patient communication portal may be used to send electronic records of past care and treatment recommendations. Replacing face-to-face meetings with virtual ones is a great way to care for your oral health without risking exposure to COVID-19.
What Can Be Done with Teledentistry?
Unlike calling your dentist on the phone, teledentistry is intended to replicate the care you would receive at an in-person dental appointment. Your dentist can use teledentistry for:
- Assessments: If you’re experiencing any new, worrying dental symptoms or have any concerns about your oral health, you can bring them up to your dentist. They will be able to examine your mouth through the photos and videos you take and determine what steps you should take next.
- Prescriptions: Oral infections like dental abscesses and gum disease may need to be treated with antibiotics to eliminate the harmful bacteria. With teledentistry, your dentist can remotely prescribe the medication you need.
- Follow-ups: Teledentistry is also an easy and quick way for your dentist to monitor the health of any dental treatments you may have had recently. This way, they can spot any issues as quickly as possible without requiring you to come back into the office.
At first, meeting with your dentist virtually for appointments may seem a little unusual. However, you’ll soon come to see teledentistry as an efficient, easy, and safe way to get the same excellent dental care you need while staying healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic.
About the Author
Dr. Thaddeus Michalski has always valued the health and safety of his patients above everything else. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, he and his highly trained team have modified their infection control protocols to ensure that their practice is as germ-free as possible. However, to protect the health of his high-risk patients, he is proud to offer teledentistry. To learn more about teledentistry appointments and discover if they may be right for you, don’t hesitate to contact him via his website or at (860) 563-4544.